.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

www.bibletruthonline.com BLOG ZONE

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Should the Bible contain 66 books?


The professor has recommended including the Old Testament Apocrypha in your devotional reading. If you have never read these works, find a copy of the Bible that includes them and peruse one or more books. What themes, language, and theology in the Apocrypha are similar to those in the Old Testament canon? If you were at the Council of Carthage, what stand would you have taken on these works? Do you find texts in the Apocrypha that would cause you to doubt whether they should be included in the canon?


Answer:
When I read Macabees, I couldn't help but think that this book was written in a similar style as Judges, Kings, and Samuel. This book would fall under the category of "history" and I see nothing in it that is historically incorrect or misleading. The only statement I could make about it in a negative way is that God is not speaking in this book, it is a man who is writing down these events.

Esdras was a very interesting work. I cannot help but see similarities between the book of Daniel and Esdras. I would categorize these book as definitely prophetic. The three headed eagle in II Esdras 11:1, captured my attention and thoughts for a while! I see nothing wrong with Esdras and feel that they are prophetically inspired!

I do have a question... Where is the Book of Enoch in this list? The Ethiopian bible still has this book as the very first work in place of Genesis. I studied the history of this book a while ago, and can only remember that (and I am paraphrasing here) it was "too scary" for the public.

Here is a link to this work: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/

If I was at the Council of Carthage, I would have agreed that these works were to remain as part of devotional reading and would agree that they should be incorporated into the study of Scripture. The only reason I would not include some of them would be based off of what is being told and by whom...God or man?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I agree with you that 2 Esdras and the Apocrypha is all inspired by God and put there originally by the Holy spirit and it was the traditions of men and ignorance that took them out! If anyone reads this, and agrees or wants to, please contact me! My wife and I long for more like minded saints who love all of Jesus which means to love every WORD of HIM! My email is answersingensis@live.com and my name is Patrick :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 PM  

  • when i read the book of enoch, the subject matter was difficult for me to accept. but as i studied the holy bible with discipline and openness of mind, and discerning the spirits; i came to believe that this book (or books) are indeed God breathed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home